A USB- Universal Serial Bus is a standard cable connection interface for personal computers and consumer electronics devices. It is used for data transfer primarily and transfers digital data over USB cables. The USB is used for computer-to-computer file transfers without a network. The USB drives are also sometimes used to copy files between devices and serves like a bus which transports the data. In this post you will learn how to fix the issue with USB Not working.
The USB port may stop working after you remove or insert a USB device. After repeated removal and insertion of the USB device, it may become unresponsive for a while. The system may no longer recognize the USB device and the USB stops working. There may be other reasons for the USB to become unresponsive. The USB might not work due to malware attack or even physical damage in the hardware parts of the system or the USB. Whatever is the reason, you may give it a try to fix this problem on your own. Check out the methods to help fix the problem of USB. Also check how to fix the issue “Air drop not working”.
First of all, you must have the administrative credential access to your system to log on to Windows to perform some of the troubleshooting methods that are listed below. Make sure you are the administrative runner of the system or personal computer.
This article helps you fix the problem. The below-listed methods are or may be trial and error methods. So, simply check if the USB is working or not after following each method.
How to fix the issue “USB Not Working” :
- Go to the Start Menu and Click on Restart the system.
- After the computer restarts fully, try to insert the USB and check if it is working or not.
The USB normally regains its control after Restarting the computer and starts working. If the system still doesn’t recognize your USB, then you need to scan the USB with the help of Device Manager. Follow the Method 2 and check again if the USB works.
- To scan the hardware changes use the Device Manager option on your system. Please make a note that if you are running Windows Vista, click Start, and then use the Start Search box. Type devmgmt.msc, and then click OK. Then the Device Manager opens.
- Click on the Device Manager Scan and look for any changes that have been made on the system.
- Click action and then click on the ‘Start the Scan’ and then ‘Run’ it.
- Wait until the scan is finished and then see the changes regarding the USB connections that has been recognized.
- Make necessary changes and exit the Device Manager.
Check if the USB starts working now. In most of the cases, the method works and the USB starts working. But, in case the USB doesn’t respond yet, it means that the troubleshooting is not successful and you need to try out the other ways in order to fix the problem.
Update the USB Drivers: The problem with the USB might have been because of the corrupted USB drivers or the attack of malware too. So, updating the USB driver will definitely be a fix for this trouble. The faulty USB driver can be fixed with simple methods. The USB drivers can be manually or automatically updated. Auto update of the USB driver will be easily recognized by the system and get corrected.
In an auto update, there is no need to know exactly what system your computer is running. There is no risk of downloading and installing the wrong driver too.
Auto update of USB Driver:
There are FREE and Pro versions of USB drivers available. You can select either of the versions and it just takes to Download the proper file.
- Find the proper USD Driver File and click on the “Download” button.
- Click on the ‘Install’ button after the file has been downloaded.
- ‘Run’ the program and ‘Finish’ the update.
- Click the ‘Scan’ button and the Driver scans the system and troubleshoots the issue first.
- ‘Update’ the USB driver by using the ‘Update’ button next to a flagged USB driver. This will automatically download and install the correct version of this driver (you can do this with the FREE version or Pro versions).
- Try to restart the system and connect the USB. This will fix the USB problem on your computer system and detects the USB.
Always practice safe methods of USB usage on your computer system to avoid any such issues. Keep in mind to use the USB with care while inserting or ejecting it from the system. This will avoid the troubles. Scan the USB for the virus before using it and there will be no issues if you follow these tips.
Hope you found the post “USB Not Working” and the methods to fix the issues useful and resolved the issue. If still you are facing the issue, please feel to comment below 🙂